To finish out the year, I would like to focus on a series of short stories. We shall focus on 1-2 stories per class.
Thank You, Ma'am by Langston Hughes
Before you read the story, please check out the short bio on Langston Hughes found on the website, Poet.org. Once you have familiarized yourself with Hughes and his work, read the story and then be prepared to answer the questions in a class discussion format. The story appears as attachments below.
- Why do you think Mrs. Jones handles the situation the way she does in the story? What is she trying to accomplish? Hoe do you think this experience is likely to affect Roger?
- Why do you think Mrs. Jones makes a point of getting Roger to wash his face? Why does she give him food? Why does she tell him about her past? Why does she avoid asking him about his family or background?
- Why do you think Roger decides he "[does] not want to be mistrusted?
- What does Mrs. Jones mean when she says that "shoes bot by devilish ways will always burn your feet"?
- Why do you think Roger can't say "thank you" to Mrs. Jones as he is leaving?
- What themes does this story express? What does it suggest about some people who commit some crimes?